Doctor of Philosophy - Geography (May 2016)
Department of Geography, Simon Fraser University
Thesis: Spatial Influences of Heat Exposures and Social Vulnerability on the Temperature-Mortality Relationship: A Case Study in the Greater Vancouver Area
Supervisors: Nadine Schuurman and Anders Knudby
Certificate in University Teaching and Learning (Dec 2014)
Teaching and Learning Center, Simon Fraser University
Master of Science - Geosciences (May 2012)
Department of Geosciences, Mississippi State University
Thesis: Island Karst Classification: Spatial Modeling-Oriented Approach with Multispectral Satellite Imageries
Bachelor of Science - Geosciences (May 2009)
Department of Earth Sciences, Tennessee Technological University
Thesis: Spatial Modeling in Sinkhole Flooding Analysis and Management System
Teaching and Research Experiences
1. Research Assistant Professor, The University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong (Oct 2018 - Present)
2. Research Fellow, Hong Kong Polytechnic University, Hong Kong (May 2017 - Oct 2018)
3. Postdoctoral Fellow, Chinese University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong (May 2016 - May 2017)
4. College Professor, Okanagan College, Kelowna, Canada (Aug 2015 - May 2016)
1. Environmental Risk and Adaptations (Climate Change, Extreme Weather, Air Pollution)
2. Demography and Public Health (Community Planning, Regional Studies, Land Use, Urban Health)
3. Spatial Modelling and Big Data Analytics (Machine Learning, Spatial Analytics, Geospatial Modelling, Remote Sensing Applications)
Peer-Reviewed Publications (* as corresponding author)
1. Hung Chak Ho, Man Sing Wong, Ho Yin Man, Yuan Shi, Sawaid Abbas. (2019). Neighborhood-based subjective environmental vulnerability index for community health assessment: Development, validation and evaluation. Science of The Total Environment, 654, 1082 - 1090.
2. Feng Xu, Hung Chak Ho, Guangqing Chi, Zhanqi Wang. (2019). Abandoned rural residential land: Using machine learning techniques to identify rural residential land vulnerable to be abandoned in mountainous areas. Habitat International, 84, 43-56.
3. Hung Chak Ho, Sawaid Abbas, Jinxin Yang, Rui Zhu, Man Sing Wong (2019). Spatiotemporal Prediction of Increasing Winter Perceived Temperature across a Sub-Tropical City for Sustainable Planning and Climate Change Mitigation. International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health, 16(3), 497.
4. Shanshan Chen, Deyong Hu, Man Sing Wong, Huazhong Ren, Shisong Cao, Chen Yu, Hung Chak Ho. (2019). Characterizing spatiotemporal dynamics of anthropogenic heat fluxes: A 20-year case study in the Beijing-Tianjin-Hebei region of China. Environmental Pollution, 249, 923-931.
5. Sidrah Hafeez, Man Sing Wong, Hung Chak Ho, Majid Nazeer, Janet Nichol, Sawaid Abbas, Danling Tang, Kwon Ho Lee, Lilian Pun. (2019). Comparison of Machine Learning Algorithms for Retrieval of Water Quality Indicators in Case-II Waters: A Case Study of Hong Kong. Remote Sensing, 11(6), 617.
6. John Yuen, Katherine Chang, Frances Wong, Judy Siu, Hung Chak Ho, Man Sing Wong, Janice Ho, Ka Long Chan, Lin Yang. (2019). Influence of Urban Green Space and Facility Accessibility on Exercise and Healthy Diet in Hong Kong. International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health, 16(9), 1514.
7. Yuan Shi, Hung Chak Ho, Yong Xu, Edward Ng. (2018). Improving satellite aerosol optical Depth-PM2.5 correlations using land use regression with microscale geographic predictors in a high-density urban context. Atmospheric Environment, 190, 23-34.
8. Yongming Xu, Hung Chak Ho*, Man Sing Wong, Chengbin Deng, Yuan Shi, Ta-Chien Chan, Anders Knudby (2018). Evaluation of machine learning techniques with multiple remote sensing datasets in estimating monthly concentrations of ground-level PM2.5. Environmental Pollution, 242, 1417-1426.
9. Hung Chak Ho, Man Sing Wong, Lin Yang, Wenzhong Shi, Jinxin Yang, Muhammad Bilal, Ta-Chien Chan (2018). Spatiotemporal influence of temperature, air quality, and urban environment on cause-specific mortality during hazy days. Environment International, 112, 10-22.
10. Hung Chak Ho, Man Sing Wong, Lin Yang, Ta-Chien Chan, Muhammad Bilal (2018). Influences of socioeconomic vulnerability and intra-urban air pollution exposure on short-term mortality during extreme dust events. Environmental Pollution, 235, 155-162.
11. Hung Chak Ho*, Anders Knudby, Guangqing Chi, Mehdi Aminipouri, Derrick Yuk-Fo Lai (2018). Spatiotemporal analysis of regional socio-economic vulnerability change associated with heat risks in Canada. Applied Geography, 95, 61-70.
12. Guangqing Chi, Hung Chak Ho* (2018). Population stress: A spatiotemporal analysis of population change and land development at the county level in the contiguous United States, 2001–2011. Land Use Policy, 70, 128-137.
13. Man Sing Wong, Tingneng Wang, Hung Chak Ho, Coco Kwok, Keru Lu, Sawaid Abbas (2018). Towards a Smart City: Development and Application of an improved Integrated Environmental Monitoring System. Sustainability, 10(3), 623.
14. Hung Chak Ho*, Anders Knudby, Blake Bryon Walker and Sarah B. Henderson (2017). Delineation of spatial variability in the temperature-mortality relationship on extremely hot days in greater Vancouver, Canada. Environmental Health Perspectives, 125(1), 66-75.
15. Nikolas Krstic, Weiran Yuchi, Hung Chak Ho, Blake B Walker, Anders J Knudby, Sarah B Henderson (2017). The Heat Exposure Integrated Deprivation Index (HEIDI): a data-driven approach to quantifying neighborhood risk during extreme hot weather. Environment International, 109, 42-52.
16. Man Sing Wong, Hung Chak Ho*, Lin Yang, Wenzhong Shi, Jinxin Yang, Ta-Chien Chan (2017). Spatial variability of excess mortality during prolonged dust events in a high-density city: a time-stratified spatial regression approach. International Journal of Health Geographics, 16, 26.
17. Hung Chak Ho*, Kevin Ka-Lun Lau, Chao Ren, Edward Ng (2017). Characterizing prolonged heat effects on mortality in a sub-tropical high-density city, Hong Kong. International Journal of Biometeorology. 61(11),1935–1944.
18. Hung Chak Ho*, Kevin Ka-Lun Lau, Ruby Yu, Dan Wang, Jean Woo, Timothy Chi Yui Kwok, Edward Ng (2017). Spatial Variability of Geriatric Depression Risk in a High-Density City: A Data-Driven Socio-Environmental Vulnerability Mapping Approach. International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health, 14(9), 994.
19. Fen Peng, Man Sing Wong, Hung Chak Ho, Janet Nichol, Pak Wai Chan (2017). Reconstruction of historical datasets for analyzing spatiotemporal influence of built environment on urban microclimates across a compact city. Building and Environment, 123, 649-660.
20. Jean Woo, Ruby Yu, Jason Leung, Moses Wong, Kevin Ka-Lun Lau, Hung Chak Ho, H.M. Yip, Jackie Kwok, Daniel Lai, Teresa Tsien, Alma Au (2017). Urban Characteristics Influencing Health of Older People: What Matters. International Journal of Innovative Research in Medical Science, 2(12),1561-1568.
21. Yongming Xu, Anders Knudby, Hung Chak Ho, Yan Shen, Yonghong Liu (2017). Warming over the Tibetan Plateau in the last 55 years based on area-weighted average temperature. Regional Environmental Change, 17(8), 2339-2347.
22. Hung Chak Ho*, Anders Knudby, Yongming Xu, Matus Hodul, Mehdi Aminipouri (2016). A comparison of urban heat islands mapped using skin temperature, air temperature, and apparent temperature (Humidex), for the greater Vancouver area, Science of the Total Environment, 544, 929–938.
23. Wei Huang, Hung Chak Ho, Yanya Peng, Lu Li (2016). Qualitative risk assessment of soil erosion for karst landforms in Chahe town, Southwest China: A hazard index approach. Catena, 144, 184-193.
24. Mehdi Aminipouri, Anders Knudby, Hung Chak Ho (2016). Using multiple disparate data sources to map heat vulnerability: Vancouver case study. The Canadian Geographer, 60(3), 356-368.
25. Brandon Heung, Hung Chak Ho, Jin Zhang, Anders Knudby, Chuck E. Bulmer, Margaret G. Schmidt (2016) An overview and comparison of machine-learning techniques for classification purposes in digital soil mapping, Geoderma, 265, 62-77.
26. Matus Hodul, Anders Knudby, Hung Chak Ho (2016). Estimation of continuous urban sky view factor from Landsat data using shadow detection. Remote Sensing, 8(7), 568.
27. Pak Keung Tsin, Anders Knudby, Scott Krayenhoff, Hung Chak Ho, Michael Brauer and Sarah B. Henderson (2016). Microscale mobile monitoring of urban air temperature. Urban Climate, 18, 58-72.
28. Hung Chak Ho*, Anders Knudby and Wei Huang (2015). A spatial framework to predict heat health risks at multiple scales, International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health, 12(12), 16110-16123.
29. Matthew Clement, Guangqing Chi, and Hung Chak Ho (2015) Urbanization and Land Use Change: A Human Ecology of Deforestation Across the United States, 2001-2006, Sociological Inquiry, 85(4), 628-653.
30. Yongming Xu, Hung Chak Ho, Wencheng Xiong (2015). Mapping a pollution index for the transboundary Red River Valley, Asia, 2009–2011. Journal of Maps, 11(3), 396-404.
2011 - 2014
31. Hung Chak Ho*, Anders Knudby, Paul Sirovyak, Yongming Xu, Matus Hodul, Sarah B. Henderson (2014). Mapping maximum urban air temperature on hot summer days. Remote Sensing of Environment, 154, 38-45.
32. Yongming Xu, Anders Knudby and Hung Chak Ho (2014). Estimating daily maximum air temperature from MODIS in British Columbia, Canada, International Journal of Remote Sensing, 35(24), 8108-8121.
33. Hung Chak Ho*, John E. Mylroie, Louis Infante, John Rodgers III (2014). Fuzzy-based spatial modeling approach to predict island karst distribution: a conceptual model. Environmental Earth Sciences, 71(3), 1369-1377.
34. Hung Chak Ho* (2011). The Role of Karst in Engineering and Environmental Geosciences. Solid Earth, 2(2), 155-158.
Book Chapter (Peer- Reviewed Full Paper)
1. Jinxin Yang, Man Sing Wong, Hung Chak Ho (2019). Retrieval of Urban Surface Temperature Using Remote Sensing Satellite Imagery. Big Data for Remote Sensing: Visualization, Analysis and Interpretation, 129-154.
Conference Proceedings (Peer-Reviewed Full Paper)
1. Coco Y.T. Kwok, Man Sing Wong, Hung Chak Ho, Florence W.Y. Ko and Frankie L.C. Lo. (2018). Deep Learning Approach for Rock Outcrops Identification. Proceedings of 2018 Fifth International Workshop on Earth Observation and Remote Sensing Applications.
2. John E. Mylroie, Hung Chak Ho, Louis R. Infante, Patricia N. Kambesis and Jason W. Leist (2015). Banana Holes as Syndepositional Flank Margin Caves within an Advancing Strandplain and their Prediction using Fuzzy-Based Spatial Modeling. Proceedings of the 16th Symposium on the Geology of The Bahamas, 222-236.
John E. Mylroie, Joan R Mylroie, Erik B. Larson, Jonathan Sumrall, Michael Lace, Louis Infante, Derrick Ho, and Patricia N. Kambesis. (2011) "A Model for Predicting the Occurrence of Collapse Features on Carbonate Islands and Coastlines". GSA Abstracts with Programs 43(5). [Abstract]
Peter Li, Evan Hart, Hugh Mills, Derrick Ho, and Martin Kimbrell. (2010). “Predicting Sinkhole Flooding in Cookeville”. In: Proceedings of the Twentieth Tennessee Water Resources Symposium, Apr 13-15, 2010, Montgomery Bell State Park, Burns, TN. Pp. 1A-7. [Abstract]
Hung C. Ho, Peter Li. (2008). “Spatial Modeling in Sinkhole Flooding Analysis and Management System”. Journal of Tennessee Academy of Science, 84(1-2), 22. [Abstract]
Professional Presentation (Invited Speaker)
Hung C. Ho (2019). "Remote sensing application and geospatial analysis to evaluate community health risk associated with weather-related air pollution events", Institute of Space and Earth Information Science, Chinese University of Hong Kong, Mar 22, 2019, Hong Kong.
Hung C. Ho (2019). "What is neighborhood deprivation? An empirical study under the context of urban vulnerability and resilience". Institute of Environment, Energy and Sustainability, Chinese University of Hong Kong, Jan 4, 2019, Hong Kong.
Hung C. Ho (2018). "Development and Application of Deprivation Indices for Urban Health Assessment". School of Geographical Sciences, Guangzhou University, Nov 7, 2018, Guangzhou, China.
Hung C. Ho (2018). "Remote sensing for the development of smart and resilient city". International Round Table 'Smart and Resilient Cities', Al-Farabi Kazakh National University, Almaty, Kazakhstan.
Hung C. Ho (2018). "Climate resilience among Chinese communities: A mixed-methods approach". Department of Geography, University of Hong Kong, Jun 19, 2018, Hong Kong.
Hung C. Ho (2018). "Association of Extreme Pollution Events and Short-term Mortality across the Urban Environment". Atmospheric Seminar, School of Energy and Environment, City University of Hong Kong, Feb 22, 2018, Hong Kong.
Hung C. Ho (2018). "A multi-dimensional framework for environmental risk analyses and mitigation". Division of Environment and Sustainability, Hong Kong University of Science and Technology, Feb 6, 2018, Hong Kong.
Hung C. Ho, Kevin Ka-Lun Lau, Ruby Yu, Jean Woo, Timothy Chi Yui Kwok, Edward Ng (2017) “Spatial Variability of Geriatric Depression Risk in a High-density City: A Socio-Environmental Vulnerability Mapping Approach”. 2017 Pacific Neighborhood Consortium Annual Conference and Joint Meetings, Nov 7 – 9, 2017, Tainan, Taiwan.
Hung C. Ho (2017). “Spatial analytics and remote sensing modelling for environmental risk management” Research Roundtable on Risk Governance for Belt and Road Initiative, Oct 14, 2017, Hong Kong Polytechnic University, Hong Kong.
Hung C. Ho (2017). “A big data approach to mitigate environmental health risk through sustainable urban planning”. Urban Studies Seminar, Department of Geography, University of Hong Kong, Jul 3, 2017, Hong Kong.
Hung C. Ho (2017). “An overview of extreme meteorological conditions and health risk in Hong Kong”. Institute of Environment, Energy and Sustainability, Chinese University of Hong Kong, May 12, 2017, Hong Kong.
Hung C. Ho (2017). “Integrating mixed-method approach and Big Data Analytics to measure environment health risk at multiple spatial scales”. Department of Land Surveying and Geo-informatics, Hong Kong Polytechnic University, Jan 23, 2017, Hong Kong.
Hung C. Ho (2015). “From Local to Regional: Adaptations to Extreme Heat Events”. College of Earth, Ocean, and Atmospheric Sciences, Oregon State University, Nov 20, 2015, Corvallis, OR, USA.
Hung C. Ho. (2015). “Spatial Modelling of Heat Exposure and Vulnerability: A Case Study in the Greater Vancouver.” PICS Symposium, May 1, 2015, Vancouver, BC, Canada
Hung C. Ho (2014). “Estimating Heat Mortality and Morbidity in Vancouver, BC.” Environmental and Occupational Health Research in Progress Talk, Jun 16, 2014, Faculty of Health Sciences, Simon Fraser University, Burnaby, BC, Canada
Anders Knudby, Hung C. Ho. (2014). “High Resolution Air Temperature Mapping in Vancouver.” UBC School of Population and Public Health Occupational and Environmental Health Seminar, Feb 7, 2014, School of Population and Public Health, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, BC, Canada
Professional Presentations (Conference)
Chao Ren, Kevin Ka-Lun Lau, Yuan Shi, Dan Wang, Hung Chak Ho, Xuyi Zhang. (2019). “Towards a comprehensive heat-health warning system of Hong Kong: an evidence-based multi-stage approach” 31st annual conference of the International Society for Environmental Epidemiology, Aug 25 – 28, Utrecht, Netherland.
Hung Chak Ho, Kenneth N.K. Fong, Ta-Chien Chan, Yuan Shi. (2019). Geospatial analysis of environmental influences on dementia and stroke mortality in Hong Kong. 2019 International Conference on Earth Observations and Societal Impacts, Jun 23 – 26, 2019, Tainan, Taiwan.
Rui Zhu, Man Sing Wong, Linlin You, Paolo Santi, Janet Nichol, Hung Chak Ho, Lin Lu and Carlo Ratti. (2019). “The effect of urban morphology on the solar capacity of three-dimensional cities”. Applied Energy Symposium: MIT A+B, May 22 – 24, 2019, Boston, MA, United States.
Lin Yang, Janice Yuen-Shan Ho, Ka-long Chan, Katherine Chang, Candy Wu, Hung Chak Ho, Judy Siu, Man Sing Wong, Fiona Wong, John Yuen and Frances Wong. (2018). Perceived stress and sleep quality in an urban population: the potential role of neighborhood greenspace. Joint Annual Meeting of the International Society of Exposure Science and the International Society for Environmental Epidemiology, Aug 26 – 30, 2018, Ottawa, ON, Canada.
Coco Y.T. Kwok, Man Sing Wong, Hung Chak Ho, Florence W.Y. Ko and Frankie L.C. Lo. (2018). Deep Learning Approach for Rock Outcrops Identification. The Fifth International Workshop on Earth Observation and Remote Sensing Applications, Jun 18 - 20, 2018, Xian, China.
Guangqing Chi and Hung C. Ho (2018). Population Stress: A Spatiotemporal Analysis of Population Change and Land Development at the County Level in the Contiguous United States, 2001–2011. 2018 Annual Meeting of Population Association of America, Apr 26 – 28, 2018, Denver, CO, United States.
Hung C. Ho, Kevin Ka-Lun Lau, Chao Ren, and Edward Ng (2017). “Characteristics of prolonged heat to temperature-mortality relationship in sub-tropical high-density cities”. 14th International Conference on Urban Health, Sept 26 – 29, 2017, Coimbra, Portugal.
Nikolas Krstic, Weiran Yuchi, Hung C. Ho, Blake Bryon Walker, Anders Knudby, Sarah B. Henderson (2017). “The Heat Exposure Integrated Deprivation Index (HEIDI): a data-driven approach to mapping extreme hot weather risk”. 29th Annual Scientific Conference of the International Society of Environmental Epidemiology, Sept 24 – 28, 2017, Sydney, Australia.
Hung C. Ho, Anders Knudby, Blake Byron Walker, and Sarah B. Henderson (2016). “Spatial Delineation of the Temperature-mortality Relationship during Extreme Hot Weather: a Case Study in Greater Vancouver, Canada”. 96th American Meteorological Society Annual Meeting & Seventh Conference on Environment and Health, Jan 11 – 14, 2016, New Orleans, LA, USA.
Hung C. Ho (2015). “Evaluation of using remote-sensing-based temperature maps (apparent temperature, air temperature, and land surface temperature) to estimate urban heat islands and community risks”. Croucher Advanced Study Institute 2015-2016: Changing Urban Climate & the Impact on Urban Thermal Environment and Urban Living, Chinese University of Hong Kong, Dec 7 – 11, 2015, Hong Kong.
Mehdi Aminipouri, Anders Knudby, Hung C. Ho (2015). “Extreme Heat and Heat-Health Vulnerability Assessment: the Case of Vancouver.” 16th International Medical Geography Symposium, Jul 5 – 10, 2015, Vancouver, BC, Canada
Brandon Heung, Derrick Ho, Jin Zhang, Anders Knudby, Chuck E. Bulmer, And Margaret G. Schmidt. (2015). “A Comparison of Machine Learning Techniques in Digital Soil Mapping for the Lower Fraser Valley, British Columbia.” International Symposium on Interactions of Soil Minerals with Organic Components and Microorganisms, Jul 5 – 10, 2015, Montreal, QC, Canada
Brandon Heung, Derrick Ho, Jin Zhang, Anders Knudby, Chuck E. Bulmer, and Margaret G. Schmidt. (2015) “Does Increasing Complexity of Tree-Based Classifiers Improve Prediction Results in Digital Soil Mapping?.” Jul 5 – 10, 2015, Montreal, QC, Canada
Hung C. Ho, Anders Knudby, Mehdi Aminipouri (2015). “Regional Heat Vulnerability Change – A Case Study in the United States and Canada.” 2015 CAG Annual Meeting, Jun 1 – 5, 2015, Burnaby, BC, Canada
Brandon Heung, Derrick Ho, Jin Zhang, Anders Knudby, Margaret G. Schmidt, Chuck E. Bulmer (2015). “Application of GIS and Classification Techniques in Digital Soil Mapping of Soil Classes for the Lower Fraser Valley, British Columbia.” 2015 CAG Annual Meeting, Jun 1 – 5, 2015, Burnaby, BC, Canada
Hung C. Ho, Anders Knudby (2015). “Evaluation of Using Temperature Maps to Estimate Community Risks at an Extreme Hot Weather Event.” SFU Climate and Energy Research Day, Apr 14, 2015, Burnaby, BC, Canada
Hung C. Ho, Anders Knudby, Wei Huang (2014). “Estimating Community Health Risks during Extreme Hot Weather Events.” 2014 GSA Annual Meeting in Vancouver, Oct 19 – 22, 2014, Vancouver, BC, Canada
Hung C. Ho (2014). “Remote Sensing of Apparent Temperature.” IEEE International Geoscience and Remote Sensing Symposium and 35th Canadian Symposium on Remote Sensing, Jul 13 -18, 2014, Quebec, QC, Canada
Hung C. Ho (2014) “Hot Summer Day and Heat Related Mortality: How can We Solve This Problem?” Three Minute Thesis Competition, Feb 20, 2014, Simon Fraser University, Burnaby, BC, Canada
Hung C. Ho, John Mylroie, Louis Infante. (2012). “Prediction of Island Karst Feature Distribution: An Approach by Using Fuzzy-based Spatial Modeling.”16th Symposium on the Geology of the Bahamas and other Carbonate Regions, Jun 14-18, 2012, San Salvador Island, The Bahamas.
Hung C. Ho, John Mylroie, Louis Infante. (2012). “Remote Sensing of Carbonate Island Karst Features to Assess Water Resources.” 2012 AAG Annual Meeting in New York. Feb 24-28, 2012. New York, NY, USA
Hung C. Ho, John Mylroie, Louis Infante (2011). “Spatial Modeling and Probabilistic Mapping of Carbonate Island Karst Features.” Geosciences Student Symposium – 2011. Nov 11, 2011. Dept of Geosciences, Mississippi State University, Starkville, MS, USA
John Mylroie, Joan Mylroie, Erik Larson, Jon Sumrall, Michael Lace, Louis Infante, Derrick Ho and Patricia Kambesis. (2011) “A Model for Predicting the Occurrence of Collapse Features on Carbonate Islands and Coastlines”. 2011 GSA Annual Meeting in Minneapolis. Oct 9-12, 2011. Minneapolis, MO, USA
Louis Infante, John Mylroie, Patricia Kambesis, Jason Leist and Derrick Ho. (2011) “Carbonate Dissolution in a Dynamic Fresh-water Lens: Lens Margin Migration and the Production of Banana Holes as Syngenetic Caves, San Salvador Island, Bahamas”. 14th AAPG – SEG Student Expo. Sept 8-9, 2011. Houston, TX, USA
Peter Li, Evan Hart, Hugh Mills, Derrick Ho, and Martin Kimbrell. (2010). “Predicting Sinkhole Flooding in Cookeville”. The Twentieth Tennessee Water Resources Symposium, Apr 13-15, 2010, Montgomery Bell State Park, Burns, TN, USA
Hung C. Ho. (2009). “Can we see the original, beautiful Xihu (The West Lake) again? Effect of Climate Change and Ecosystems Restoration on Xihu, China”. Modelling Environmental Systems Student Conference. Dec 2, 2009, Dept of Geog, McGill University, Montreal, QC, Canada
Peter Li, Evan Hart, Hugh Mills, Derrick Ho, and Martin Kimbrell. (2009). “Sinkhole Flooding Map in Cookeville”. The 119th Annual Meeting of the Tennessee Academy of Science, Oct 30, 2009, Knoxville, TN, USA
Hung C. Ho, Peter Li. (2008). “Spatial Modeling in Sinkhole Flooding Analysis and Management System”. The 118th Annual Meeting of the Tennessee Academy of Science, Nov 21-22, 2008, Nashville, TN, USA
Reports / Interviews from Public Media (Major Research)
Sept 13, 2018 Article of “Three steps Hong Kong must take to save city from ‘deadly hot’ days”, South China Morning Post, Hong Kong
Jun 25, 2018 Article of “Land developability and its impact on housing costs”, Forbes, United States
Jan 26, 2018 Article of “Air pollution linked to ‘extremely high mortality’ in people with mental disorders”, The Guardian, UK
Jan 2, 2018 Article of “Hong Kong’s hazy days may have more deadly effect on those with mental illnesses, researchers find”, South China Morning Post, Hong Kong (A3 Page)
Aug 6, 2017 Radio Interview for Radio Television Hong Kong (Show: “千禧年代”), Hong Kong. (Representative: Prof. Edward Ng)
Aug 6, 2017 Article of “Hot summer nights could be bigger killers than daytime scorchers, Hong Kong researchers say”, South China Morning Post, Hong Kong (A3 Page)
Aug 6, 2017 Article of “研究分析多年死亡個案與高溫關係 一周5熱日熱夜 死亡率增15%”, Ming Pao, Hong Kong (A1 Page)
Jul 27, 2016 Article of “Unemployed people, not the elderly, at highest risk during heatwaves”, The Climate Examiner, Canada.
Jul 6, 2016 Article of “Vancouver’s south east end most at risk from heat-wave deaths”, The Climate Examiner, Canada
Jun 28, 2016 Article of “People in hotter, poorer neighbourhoods at higher risk of death during extreme heat: study”, News 1130, Canada
Jun 28, 2016 Article of “Heat exposure deadly in areas of poverty and more concrete, fewer trees”, Metro News, Canada.
Jun 28, 2016 Article of “Extreme heat a ‘silent killer’ in poorest Vancouver areas”, Vancouver Sun, Canada (Front Page)
Jun 28, 2016 Television Interview (Top Story of 1130PM News) for Canadian Broadcasting Corporation (CBC), http://www.cbc.ca/player/play/714976835551, Canada. (Representative: Dr. Sarah B. Henderson)
Reports / Interviews from Public Media (Professional Comments)
Aug 29, 2018 Article of “港學者：加劇因素之一 難證因果”, Ming Pao, Hong Kong
Aug 28, 2018 Article of “Air pollution may harm cognitive intelligence, study says”, British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC) news, UK.
Aug 27, 2018 Article of “Air pollution causes ‘huge’ reduction in intelligence, study reveals”, The Guardian, UK.
Associate Editor – BMC Public Health
Guest Editor – ISPRS International Journal of Geo-Information
Guest Editor – Sustainability
Reviewer – Environment International
Reviewer – Environmental Pollution
Reviewer – Preventive Medicine
Reviewer – Journal of Transport & Health
Reviewer – Remote Sensing of Environment
Reviewer – Science of the Total Environment
Reviewer – International Journal of Remote Sensing
Reviewer – International Journal of Geographical Information Science
Reviewer – IEEE Journal of Selected Topics in Applied Earth Observations and Remote Sensing
Reviewer – Remote Sensing
Reviewer – Remote Sensing Letters
Reviewer – International Journal of Biometeorology
Reviewer – Theoretical and Applied Climatology
Reviewer – Environmental Modelling & Software
Reviewer – Journal of Maps
Reviewer – Spatial and Spatio-temporal Epidemiology
Reviewer – International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health
Reviewer – Sustainability
Reviewer – Ecological Informatics
Reviewer – Environmental Earth Sciences
Reviewer – Carbonates and Evaporites
Reviewer – Arabian Journal of Geosciences
Reviewer – Global Environmental Outlook 5 (Geo-5), United Nation Environment Programme
Reviewer – Journal - American Water Works Association
Reviewer – Chinese Geographical Science
Reviewer – Journal of Environmental Studies and Sciences
Reviewer – Climate
Reviewer – Urban Science
Reviewer – Journal of Information Systems Education
Reviewer – Journal of Sustainability Education
1. Principal Investigator – Seed Fund, The University of Hong Kong (Project Title: Evaluation of physical and social barriers for the public housing estates in a historical socioeconomic deprived and aging district in Hong Kong: A case study of Kwun Tong): HKD $150,000 (Year: 2019 – 2021)
2. Team Member – University Grants Committee’s Educational Fund (Project Title: Augmenting Physical Learning Spaces with Location-based Services Using iBeacon Technology for Engaging Learning Experiences): HKD $12,000,000 (Year: 2016 – 2019)
3. Team Member - Civil Engineering and Development Department (Project Title: Service Contract for Identification of Rock Outcrops using Remote Sensing Techniques): HKD $300,000 (Year: 2017 – 2018)
4. Principal Investigator – Research Grant, Pacific Institute for Climate Solutions (PICS) (Project Title: Mapping and managing heat-related vulnerability and mortality in BC: A GVRD case study): approximately to HKD $369,000 (Year: 2014 – 2017)
5. Principal Investigator – Travel Fund, Pacific Institute for Climate Solutions (PICS): approximately to HKD $12,000 (Year: 2016)
6. Principal Investigator – Professional Development Grant, Simon Fraser University: approximately to HKD $ 6,000 (Year: 2014 – 2015)
7. Co-Investigator – Private Research Fund from City of Victoria: approximately to HKD $41,000 (Year: 2015)
8. Principal Investigator – Travel Grant, Canadian Remote Sensing Society Symposium: approximately to HKD $ 6,000 (Year: 2014)
Honors and Awards
Pacific Institute for Climate Solutions (PICS) Graduate Fellowship (2014 – 2017)
Graduate Fellowship, Simon Fraser University (2014)
Gamma Theta Upsilon Honor Society, Mississippi State University (2011 – 2012)
Earth Sciences Alumni Scholarship, Tennessee Technological University (2008-2009)
Outstanding Senior Geosciences Major Award, Tennessee Technological University (2009)
Who's Who Among Students in American Universities and Colleges (2008 - 2009)
Mortar Board National College Senior Honor Society, Tennessee Technological University (2008 – 2009)
Dean’s List, Tennessee Technological University (2007-2009)
First Place, Technical Session, the 118th Annual Meeting of the Tennessee Academy of Science, November 2008 (2008)
Silver Award, The Hong Kong Award for Young People (2005)
Member - Canadian Remote Sensing Society
Member - International Association of Hydrological Sciences
Member - International Association for Urban Climate
Member - American Association of Petroleum Geologists
Member - International Society for Agricultural Meteorology
Member - Institute of Mathematical Statistics
Member - Society for Industrial and Applied Mathematics
Member - The International Commission on the History of Meteorology
Member - The International Conservation Society
MapInfo, ArcGIS 10, ArcGIS 3.3, ArcGIS Extension (Axwoman, Spatial Analysis, Network Analysis, ArcHydro and etc.), ArcInfo, BASINS, HSPF, ArcGIS Server, ArcSDE, GeoDA, Quantum GIS, ArcSIE, Saga
Remote Sensing and CAD Software
ERDAS, ER Mapper, ENVI, IDRISI, AutoCAD, Microstation, Inroads – Bentley, Definiens.
Matlab, R, Pajek, Adobe Flex Builder, Microsoft office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access, FrontPage), Dreamweaver, DIPS, ImageJ, Stella 9, SPSS, SAS
Field and Laboratory Techniques
GPS recording, Land Surveying, Soil Tests, Groundwater Tests, Stream Sampling and monitoring, Cave Survey, Geologic Survey, Permeability and Porosity Test, Application of Atomic Absorption Spectrometer, Hydrological Modeling and etc.