Doctor of Philosophy - Geography (May 2016)
Department of Geography, Simon Fraser University
Thesis: Spatial Influences of Heat Exposures and Social Vulnerability on the Temperature-Mortality Relationship: A Case Study in the Greater Vancouver Area
Supervisors: Nadine Schuurman and Anders Knudby
Certificate in University Teaching and Learning (Dec 2014)
Teaching and Learning Center, Simon Fraser University
Master of Science - Geosciences (May 2012)
Department of Geosciences, Mississippi State University
Thesis: Island Karst Classification: Spatial Modeling-Oriented Approach with Multispectral Satellite Imageries
Bachelor of Science - Geosciences (May 2009)
Department of Earth Sciences, Tennessee Technological University
Thesis: Spatial Modeling in Sinkhole Flooding Analysis and Management System
Teaching and Research Experiences
1. Research Fellow, Hong Kong Polytechnic University, Hong Kong (May 2017 - Present)
2. Postdoctoral Fellow, Chinese University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong (May 2016 - May 2017)
3. College Professor, Okanagan College, Kelowna, Canada (Aug 2015 - May 2016)
1. Environmental Risk and Adaptations (Climate Change, Extreme Weather, Air Pollution)
2. Demography and Public Health (Community Planning, Regional Studies, Land Use, Urban Health)
3. Spatial Modelling and Big Data Analytics (Machine Learning, Spatial Analytics, Geospatial Modelling, Remote Sensing Applications)
Peer-Reviewed Publications (* as corresponding author)
1. Hung Chak Ho, Man Sing Wong, Lin Yang, Wenzhong Shi, Jinxin Yang, Muhammad Bilal, Ta-Chien Chan. (2018). Spatiotemporal influence of temperature, air quality, and urban environment on cause-specific mortality during hazy days. Environment International, 112, 10-22.
2. Hung Chak Ho, Man Sing Wong, Lin Yang, Ta-Chien Chan, Muhammad Bilal. (2018). Influences of socioeconomic vulnerability and intra-urban air pollution exposure on short-term mortality during extreme dust events. Environmental Pollution, 235, 155-162.
3. Guangqing Chi, Hung Chak Ho*. (2018). Population stress: A spatiotemporal analysis of population change and land development at the county level in the contiguous United States, 2001–2011. Land Use Policy, 70, 128-137.
4. Man Sing Wong, Tingneng Wang, Hung Chak Ho, Coco Kwok, Keru Lu, Sawaid Abbas. Towards a Smart City: Development and Application of an improved Integrated Environmental Monitoring System. Sustainability, 10(3), 623.
5. Hung Chak Ho*, Anders Knudby, Blake Bryon Walker and Sarah B. Henderson. (2017). Delineation of spatial variability in the temperature-mortality relationship on extremely hot days in greater Vancouver, Canada. Environmental Health Perspectives, 125(1), 66-75.
6. Nikolas Krstic, Weiran Yuchi, Hung Chak Ho, Blake B Walker, Anders J Knudby, Sarah B Henderson. (2017). The Heat Exposure Integrated Deprivation Index (HEIDI): a data-driven approach to quantifying neighborhood risk during extreme hot weather. Environment International, 109, 42-52.
7. Man Sing Wong, Hung Chak Ho*, Lin Yang, Wenzhong Shi, Jinxin Yang, Ta-Chien Chan. (2017). Spatial variability of excess mortality during prolonged dust events in a high-density city: a time-stratified spatial regression approach. International Journal of Health Geographics, 16, 26.
8. Hung Chak Ho*, Kevin Ka-Lun Lau, Chao Ren, Edward Ng (2017). Characterizing prolonged heat effects on mortality in a sub-tropical high-density city, Hong Kong. International Journal of Biometeorology. 61(11),1935–1944.
9. Hung Chak Ho*, Kevin Ka-Lun Lau, Ruby Yu, Dan Wang, Jean Woo, Timothy Chi Yui Kwok, Edward Ng (2017). Spatial Variability of Geriatric Depression Risk in a High-Density City: A Data-Driven Socio-Environmental Vulnerability Mapping Approach. International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health, 14(9), 994.
10. Fen Peng, Man Sing Wong, Hung Chak Ho, Janet Nichol, Pak Wai Chan (2017). Reconstruction of historical datasets for analyzing spatiotemporal influence of built environment on urban microclimates across a compact city. Building and Environment, 123, 649-660.
11. Jean Woo, Ruby Yu, Jason Leung, Moses Wong, Kevin Ka-Lun Lau, Hung Chak Ho, H.M. Yip, Jackie Kwok, Daniel Lai, Teresa Tsien, Alma Au (2017). Urban Characteristics Influencing Health of Older People: What Matters. International Journal of Innovative Research in Medical Science, 2(12),1561-1568.
12. Yongming Xu, Anders Knudby, Hung Chak Ho, Yan Shen, Yonghong Liu. (2017). Warming over the Tibetan Plateau in the last 55 years based on area-weighted average temperature. Regional Environmental Change, 17(8), 2339-2347.
13. Hung Chak Ho*, Anders Knudby, Yongming Xu, Matus Hodul, Mehdi Aminipouri. (2016). A comparison of urban heat islands mapped using skin temperature, air temperature, and apparent temperature (Humidex), for the greater Vancouver area, Science of the Total Environment, 544, 929–938.
14. Wei Huang, Hung Chak Ho, Yanya Peng, Lu Li. (2016). Qualitative risk assessment of soil erosion for karst landforms in Chahe town, Southwest China: A hazard index approach. Catena, 144, 184-193.
15. Mehdi Aminipouri, Anders Knudby, Hung Chak Ho. (2016). Using multiple disparate data sources to map heat vulnerability: Vancouver case study. The Canadian Geographer, 60(3), 356-368.
16. Brandon Heung, Hung Chak Ho, Jin Zhang, Anders Knudby, Chuck E. Bulmer, Margaret G. Schmidt (2016) An overview and comparison of machine-learning techniques for classification purposes in digital soil mapping, Geoderma, 265, 62-77.
17. Matus Hodul, Anders Knudby, Hung Chak Ho. (2016). Estimation of continuous urban sky view factor from Landsat data using shadow detection. Remote Sensing, 8(7), 568.
18. Pak Keung Tsin, Anders Knudby, Scott Krayenhoff, Hung Chak Ho, Michael Brauer and Sarah B. Henderson. (2016). Microscale mobile monitoring of urban air temperature. Urban Climate, 18, 58-72.
19. Hung Chak Ho*, Anders Knudby and Wei Huang. (2015). A spatial framework to predict heat health risks at multiple scales, International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health, 12(12), 16110-16123.
20. Matthew Clement, Guangqing Chi, and Hung Chak Ho. (2015) Urbanization and Land Use Change: A Human Ecology of Deforestation Across the United States, 2001-2006, Sociological Inquiry, 85(4), 628-653.
21. Yongming Xu, Hung Chak Ho, Wencheng Xiong (2015). Mapping a pollution index for the transboundary Red River Valley, Asia, 2009–2011. Journal of Maps, 11(3), 396-404.
2011 - 2014
22. Hung Chak Ho*, Anders Knudby, Paul Sirovyak, Yongming Xu, Matus Hodul, Sarah B. Henderson (2014). Mapping maximum urban air temperature on hot summer days. Remote Sensing of Environment, 154, 38-45.
23. Yongming Xu, Anders Knudby and Hung Chak Ho. (2014). Estimating daily maximum air temperature from MODIS in British Columbia, Canada, International Journal of Remote Sensing, 35(24), 8108-8121.
24. Hung Chak Ho*, John E. Mylroie, Louis Infante, John Rodgers III (2014). Fuzzy-based spatial modeling approach to predict island karst distribution: a conceptual model. Environmental Earth Sciences, 71(3), 1369-1377.
25. Hung Chak Ho* (2011). The Role of Karst in Engineering and Environmental Geosciences. Solid Earth, 2(2), 155-158.
Conference Proceedings (Peer-Reviewed Full Paper)
1. John E. Mylroie, Hung Chak Ho, Louis R. Infante, Patricia N. Kambesis and Jason W. Leist. (2015). Banana Holes as Syndepositional Flank Margin Caves within an Advancing Strandplain and their Prediction using Fuzzy-Based Spatial Modeling. Proceedings of the 16th Symposium on the Geology of The Bahamas, 222-236.
John E. Mylroie, Joan R Mylroie, Erik B. Larson, Jonathan Sumrall, Michael Lace, Louis Infante, Derrick Ho, and Patricia N. Kambesis. (2011) "A Model for Predicting the Occurrence of Collapse Features on Carbonate Islands and Coastlines". GSA Abstracts with Programs 43(5). [Abstract]
Peter Li, Evan Hart, Hugh Mills, Derrick Ho, and Martin Kimbrell. (2010). “Predicting Sinkhole Flooding in Cookeville”. In: Proceedings of the Twentieth Tennessee Water Resources Symposium, Apr 13-15, 2010, Montgomery Bell State Park, Burns, TN. Pp. 1A-7. [Abstract]
Hung C. Ho, Peter Li. (2008). “Spatial Modeling in Sinkhole Flooding Analysis and Management System”. Journal of Tennessee Academy of Science, 84(1-2), 22. [Abstract]
Hung C. Ho (2017). “An overview of extreme meteorological conditions and health risk in Hong Kong”. Institute of Environment, Energy and Sustainability, Chinese University of Hong Kong, May 12, 2017, Hong Kong.
Hung C. Ho (2017). “Integrating mixed-method approach and Big Data Analytics to measure environment health risk at multiple spatial scales”. Department of Land Surveying and Geo-informatics, Hong Kong Polytechnic University, Jan 23, 2017, Hong Kong.
Hung C. Ho, Anders Knudby, Blake Byron Walker, and Sarah B. Henderson (2016). “Spatial Delineation of the Temperature-mortality Relationship during Extreme Hot Weather: a Case Study in Greater Vancouver, Canada”. 96th American Meteorological Society Annual Meeting & Seventh Conference on Environment and Health, Jan 11 – 14, 2016, New Orleans, LA.
Hung C. Ho (2015). “Evaluation of using remote-sensing-based temperature maps (apparent temperature, air temperature, and land surface temperature) to estimate urban heat islands and community risks”. Croucher Advanced Study Institute 2015-2016: Changing Urban Climate & the Impact on Urban Thermal Environment and Urban Living, Chinese University of Hong Kong, Dec 7 – 11, 2015, Hong Kong.
Hung C. Ho (2015). “From Local to Regional: Adaptations to Extreme Heat Events”. College of Earth, Ocean, and Atmospheric Sciences, Oregon State University, Nov 20, 2015, Corvallis, OR.
Mehdi Aminipouri, Anders Knudby, Hung C. Ho (2015). “Extreme Heat and Heat-Health Vulnerability Assessment: the Case of Vancouver.” 16th International Medical Geography Symposium, Jul 5 – 10, 2015, Vancouver, BC.
Brandon Heung, Derrick Ho, Jin Zhang, Anders Knudby, Chuck E. Bulmer, And Margaret G. Schmidt. (2015). “A Comparison of Machine Learning Techniques in Digital Soil Mapping for the Lower Fraser Valley, British Columbia.” International Symposium on Interactions of Soil Minerals with Organic Components and
Microorganisms, Jul 5 – 10, 2015, Montreal, QC.
Brandon Heung, Derrick Ho, Jin Zhang, Anders Knudby, Chuck E. Bulmer, and Margaret G. Schmidt. (2015) “Does Increasing Complexity of Tree-Based Classifiers Improve Prediction Results in Digital Soil Mapping?.” Jul 5 – 10, 2015, Montreal, QC.
Hung C. Ho, Anders Knudby, Mehdi Aminipouri (2015). “Regional Heat Vulnerability Change – A Case Study in the United States and Canada”. 2015 CAG Annual Meeting, Jun 1 – 5, 2015, Burnaby, BC.
Hung C. Ho, Anders Knudby (2015). “Evaluation of Using Temperature Maps to Estimate Community Risks at an Extreme Hot Weather Event”. SFU Climate and Energy Research Day, Apr 14, 2015, Burnaby, BC.
Hung C. Ho, Anders Knudby, Wei Huang (2014). “Estimating Community Health Risks during Extreme Hot Weather Events”. 2014 GSA Annual Meeting in Vancouver, Oct 19 – 22, 2014, Vancouver, BC.
Hung C. Ho, Anders Knudby (2014). “Remote Sensing of Apparent Temperature”. IEEE International Geoscience and Remote Sensing Symposium and 35th Canadian Symposium on Remote Sensing, Jul 13 -18, 2014, Quebec, QC.
Hung C. Ho (2014). “Estimating Heat Mortality and Morbidity in Vancouver, BC.” Environmental and Occupational Health Research in Progress Talk, Jun 16, 2014, Faculty of Health Sciences, Simon Fraser University, Burnaby, BC.
Anders Knudby, Hung C. Ho. (2014). “High Resolution Air Temperature Mapping in Vancouver.” UBC School of Population and Public Health Occupational and Environmental Health Seminar, Feb 7, 2014, School of Population and Public Health, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, BC
Hung C. Ho, John Mylroie, Louis Infante. (2012). Prediction of Island Karst Features Distribution – An Approach by Using Fuzzy-based spatial model. 16th Symposium on the Geology of the Bahamas and other Carbonate Regions, Jun 14-18, 2012, San Salvador Island, The Bahamas.
Hung C. Ho, John Mylroie, Louis Infante. (2012). Remote Sensing of Carbonate Island Karst Features to Assess Water Resources. 2012 AAG Annual Meeting in New York. Feb 24-28, 2012. New York, NY.
Hung C. Ho, John Mylroie, Louis Infante (2011). Spatial Modeling and Probabilistic Mapping of Carbonate Island Karst Features. Geosciences Student Symposium – 2011. Nov 11, 2011. Dept of Geosciences, Mississippi State University, Starkville, MS.
John Mylroie, Joan Mylroie, Erik Larson, Jon Sumrall, Michael Lace, Louis Infante, Derrick Ho and Patricia Kambesis. (2011) “A Model for Predicting the Occurrence of Collapse Features on Carbonate Islands and Coastlines”. 2011 GSA Annual Meeting in Minneapolis. Oct 9-12, 2011. Minneapolis, MO.
Louis Infante, John Mylroie, Patricia Kambesis, Jason Leist and Derrick Ho. (2011) “Carbonate Dissolution in a Dynamic Fresh-water Lens: Lens Margin Migration And The Production of Banana Holes as Syngenetic Caves, San Salvador Island, Bahamas”. 14th AAPG – SEG Student Expo. Sept 8-9, 2011. Houston, TX.
Peter Li, Evan Hart, Hugh Mills, Derrick Ho, and Martin Kimbrell. (2010). “Predicting Sinkhole Flooding in Cookeville”. The Twentieth Tennessee Water Resources Symposium, Apr 13-15, 2010, Montgomery Bell State Park, Burns, TN.
Hung C. Ho. (2009). “Can we see the original, beautiful Xihu (The West Lake) again? Effect of Climate Change and Ecosystems Restoration on Xihu, China”. Modelling Environmental Systems Student Conference. Dec 2, 2009, Dept of Geog, McGill University, Montreal, QC, Canada
Peter Li, Evan Hart, Hugh Mills, Derrick Ho, and Martin Kimbrell. (2009). "Sinkhole Flooding Map in Cookeville". The 119th Annual Meeting of the Tennessee Academy of Science, Oct 30, 2009, Knoxville, TN.
Hung C. Ho, Peter Li. (2008). “Spatial Modeling in Sinkhole Flooding Analysis and Management System”. The 118th Annual Meeting of the Tennessee Academy of Science, Nov 21-22, 2008, Nashville, TN.
Guest Editor – Sustainability
Reviewer – International Journal of Remote Sensing
Reviewer – International Journal of Geographical Information Science
Reviewer – IEEE Journal of Selected Topics in Applied Earth Observations and Remote Sensing
Reviewer – Remote Sensing
Reviewer – Remote Sensing Letters
Reviewer – International Journal of Biometeorology
Reviewer – Theoretical and Applied Climatology
Reviewer – Environmental Modelling & Software
Reviewer – Remote Sensing Letters
Reviewer – Journal of Maps
Reviewer – Spatial and Spatio-temporal Epidemiology
Reviewer – Ecological Informatics
Reviewer – Environmental Earth Sciences
Reviewer – Carbonates and Evaporites
Reviewer – Arabian Journal of Geosciences
Reviewer – Global Environmental Outlook 5 (Geo-5), United Nation Environment Programme
Reviewer – Journal - American Water Works Association
Reviewer – Chinese Geographical Science
Reviewer – Journal of Environmental Studies and Sciences
Reviewer – Journal of Information Systems Education
Reviewer – Journal of Sustainability Education
Journalist (Freelance) – www.gisportal.cz (2011)
Honors, Awards and Grants
Simon Fraser University
Pacific Institute for Climate Solutions (PICS) Graduate Fellowship (2014 – 2016)
Canadian Remote Sensing Society Symposium Travel Grant (2014)
Graduate Fellowship (2014 - 2015)
Professional Development Grant (2014, 2015)
Mississippi State University
Gamma Theta Upsilon Honor Society (2011 – 2012)
Tennessee Technological University
Outstanding Senior Geosciences Major Award (2009)
Who's Who Among Students in American Universities and Colleges (2008-2009)
Mortar Board National College Senior Honor Society (2008-2009)
Earth Sciences Alumni Scholarship (2008-2009)
Dean’s List, (2007-2009)
First Place, Technical Session, the 118th Annual Meeting of the Tennessee Academy of Science, November 2008 (2008)
Silver Award, The Hong Kong Award for Young People (2005)
Member - Canadian Remote Sensing Society
Member - International Association of Hydrological Sciences
Member - International Association for Urban Climate
Member - American Association of Petroleum Geologists
Member - International Society for Agricultural Meteorology
Member - Institute of Mathematical Statistics
Member - Society for Industrial and Applied Mathematics
Member - The International Commission on the History of Meteorology
Member - The International Conservation Society
MapInfo, ArcGIS 10, ArcGIS 3.3, ArcGIS Extension (Axwoman, Spatial Analysis, Network Analysis, ArcHydro and etc.), ArcInfo, BASINS, HSPF, ArcGIS Server, ArcSDE, GeoDA, Quantum GIS, ArcSIE, Saga
Remote Sensing and CAD Software
ERDAS, ER Mapper, ENVI, IDRISI, AutoCAD, Microstation, Inroads – Bentley, Definiens.
Matlab, R, Pajek, Adobe Flex Builder, Microsoft office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access, FrontPage), Dreamweaver, DIPS, ImageJ, Stella 9, SPSS, SAS
Field and Laboratory Techniques
GPS recording, Land Surveying, Soil Tests, Groundwater Tests, Stream Sampling and monitoring, Cave Survey, Geologic Survey, Permeability and Porosity Test, Application of Atomic Absorption Spectrometer, Hydrological Modeling and etc.